Personal Profile Collections

 

Murdock Dan MacKeigan - Section 4A

Upon declaration of war in August, 1914, the 94th Regiment was mobilized and its eight companies sent to various locations within industrial Cape Breton and also to Canso on the mainland, for garrison, guard and outpost duties. "E" Company, under the command of Capt. Murdock MacKeigan, were dispatched to Louisbourg to guard the Marconi wireless station located near there.

This section contains six photos pertaining to the Marconi wireless station site which was located near the Fortress of Louisbourg site on what is now Parks Canada land. The photos are circa 1914-1915. 

Click or tap on the images below for high resolution, expandable images. Use your back button to return to this page.

 


Marconi Wireless Station

Near Louisbourg, NS

Circa 1914-1915

The station was located on the coast near the Fortess of Louisbourg site. It consisted of towers and a group of buildings including a receiver house, duplexes for married staff, a workshop and a stable. The large building in front was a three storey residence and was known as "the hotel". The photo was taken in the winter time looking across a frozen inlet.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-2.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo postcard
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Reverse of Above Postcard
 


Operating Building

Marconi Wireless Station

Near Louisbourg, NS

Circa 1914-1915

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-1.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo postcard
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Reverse of Above Postcard
 


Louisbourg Harbour From Marconi Wireless Station

1914

The Fortress of Louisbourg was located on the portion of land in the background on the right side of the photo.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-10.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo postcard
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Marconi Wireless Station

Near Louisbourg, NS

1915

The station was located on the coast near the Fortess of Louisbourg site. The large building in front was a three storey residence and was known as "the hotel". The building in the center on the left was the operating building. The two matching buildings in the background were duplexes for married couples.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (12.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Unidentified Soldier

Marconi Wireless Station

Near Louisbourg, NS

Circa 1914-1915

The man is standing on the front steps of "the hotel", a large three storey residence.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-4.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Marconi Wireless Station

Near Louisbourg, NS

Circa 1915

The buildings on the left are the Marconi wireless station structures. The buildings on the right are barracks that were constructed to house the troops guarding the station.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-3.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 

© Cape Breton Military History | Nova Scotia Website Design by: immediaC