Personal Profile Collections

 

Murdock Dan MacKeigan - Section 5A

Upon declaration of war in August, 1914, the 94th Regiment was mobilized and its eight companies sent to various locations within industrial Cape Breton and also to Canso on the mainland, for garrison, guard and outpost duties. "E" Company, under the command of Capt. Murdock MacKeigan, were dispatched to Louisbourg to guard the Marconi wireless station located near there.

This section contains six photos showing ruins from the Fortress of Louisbourg, circa 1914-1915. The Marconi wireless station that troops from the 94th Regiment were sent to guard was located near the fotress site. 

Click or tap on the images below for high resolution, expandable images. Use your back button to return to this page.

 

 

Ruins

Fortress of Louisbourg Site

November, 1914

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-14.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Ruins

Fortress of Louisbourg Site

November, 1914

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-16.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Ruins

Fortress of Louisbourg Site

Circa 1914-1915

The people in the photo are not identified.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-5.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Ruins

Fortress of Louisbourg Site

1914

Writing on the back of the original photo identifies the man as Mr. G.M. O'Dell. No further information is known.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-6.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Ruins

Fortress of Louisbourg Site

May 24, 1915

Writing on the back of the photo identifies the date and the two men in the photo.

Left to right are G.M. O'Dell and Hon-Capt. Ephraim Watering Florence, military chaplain.

It appears some outbuildings for the nearby farm have been constructed from the ruins.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-15.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 


Ruins

Fortress of Louisbourg Site

Circa 1914-1915

The man is not identified.

Photographer:  Unknown
Ref. Number:  18-4 (4-12.2)
Image Information:  Scan of original photo
Source:  Paul MacKeigan
 

© Cape Breton Military History | Nova Scotia Website Design by: immediaC